Sunday, July 15, 2012


My Training So Far - Week 4

I just finished week 4 with a long, slow run.  I started a couple of new things this week.  The first thing I started was using a 5k training guide from Runners Magazine.  The second was a sort of new tradition: choosing a different, tasty looking recipe for every week from Men's Health and making it for dinner one night of the week.  Sounds exciting, right?  This week I made Tacos al Pastor.  My next post will include the recipe and a picture.

First of all, I will show you the new 5k training workout I am using to try to get my running strength and endurance up.  The idea is to run a timed 5k (as long as you can keep moving for the 3.1 miles).  The time you log correlates with a VDOT number on the chart.  This is what determines what pace you will be doing your workouts for the next 6 weeks in preparation to running another 5k (hopefully faster).  My thought is that I have just enough time to go through this cycle three times before the Urbanathlon, so I will be in good enough shape to survive the 9 mile race.  As you can see, my time of 21:47 fell between two VDOT ratings.  If this happens to you, just choose the higher VDOT of the two so you can push yourself a little harder.  
VDOT Table

 Workout Schedule

Monday:
Run (outside) - 2.9 miles @ 9:02 min/mile
Row - 3 mins
Lift - Fast Track Abs Circuit A (Two Rounds)
Exercise         Reps   Weight
1A                   10       35 lbs
1B                   10       --
2A                   2x15   35 lbs
2B                   2x8     35 lbs
2C                   15       35 lbs
3A                   10       25 lbs
3B                   15       15 lbs
Mogul Jump     20
Figure 8           10 

Tuesday:
Run 4 x 400m @ 1:26 (faster than the workout suggested - I didn't have it handy and guessed)

Wednesday:
Run (outside) - Rest
Row Machine- 100 reps
Lift - Fast Track Abs Circuit B (Two Rounds)
Exercise         Reps      Weight
1A                   10(10)   50(40) lbs
1B                   10           --
1C                   10           --
1D                   10           --
1E                   10         50 lbs
2A                   15         15 lbs
2B                   10         25 lbs
Hip Up             2x20
3 pt core touch 2x10

Thursday:
Sick day (got a stomach bug from mexican food - I think I will stick to cooking for myself...) 

Friday:
Sick day

Saturday:
Run - 4.26 miles @ 8:29 min/mile
Row - 4 minutes
Lift - Spartacus workout with 20 lbs (2 rounds - a rough reminder that when you're sick, you can't go too hard the first day back)

Sunday:
Run 4.14 miles @ 9:02 min/mile

Directions for Fast Track Abs Circuits: Alternate between workouts A and B for 4 weeks, resting for at least a day between sessions.  Perform each group of exercises as a circuit, resting 20 seconds between exercises and 1 minute after completing all the exercises in the circuit.  During weeks 1 andd 2, do each circuit twice.  During weeks 3 and 4, do each circuit three times.  Finish your workouts with a couple of the core moves.
Core Moves
Circuit A
Circuit B
Spartacus Circuit

 Summary:
This was my first week doing the new 5k training schedule, and I really like the structure of the workouts.  It feels like I am doing more than just going outside and running until I am tired.  I definitely felt tired on my 4 mile run on Saturday, but I was getting over being sick.  I felt way better on my 4 mile run today.  I am really starting to see results on my body as well (the abs are starting to make an appearance haha).  I am looking forward to this coming week of training.  It will (hopefully) by my first full week of training so far.  

No comments:

Post a Comment