Saturday, July 14, 2012

My Training So Far - Week 1


The idea to use a blog to log and share my workouts after training for the Urbanathlon for a month.  I have been keeping a journal to mark down my progress and decision making so far.  These are all the workouts I have done so far:

Week 1
Monday:
Run (treadmill) - 4 x 1/4 mile @ 7 mph
Row - 3 x 50 Rows
Lift - Spartacus workout (the directions are tough to read on the picture, so here they are: Do this workout 3 days a week.  Perform the exercises-or "stations"-as a circuit, doing one movement after another.  At each station, perform as many repetitions as you can in 40 seconds using perfect form.  Rest for 20 seconds as you transition to the next exercise.  After you have done all 10 exercises, catch your breath for 2 minutes.  Then repeat the entire circuit two more times.  If you find you can't keep working for the entire 40 seconds, use lighter weight.  If you feel as if you could keep going hard for an additional 15 seconds, progress to a heavier weight.) I did 3 rounds with 15 pound dumbbells.

Tuesday:
Rest

Wednesday:
Run (treadmill) - 4 x 1/2 miles @ 7.5 mph
Row - 4 x 60 seconds
Lift - Spartacus workout - 3 rounds with 15 lbs

Thursday:
Rest

Friday:
Rest

Saturday:
Run (treadmill) 2 x 1 mile @ 8 mph
Row - 1 x 2 minutes
Lift - Spartacus workout - 3 rounds with 15 lbs

Sunday:
Rest

Summary:
As you can see, I have not done much running before this week.  The running was, by far, the most difficult part of my week's workouts.  I started small, but you've gotta start somewhere if your goal is to eventually run over 9 miles with obstacles.  The full body circuits three days a week are meant to build muscular endurance, which will be crucial in the race in order to not have all my energy taken out by the obstacles.

No comments:

Post a Comment